Which Asphalt Sealant Will Work Best For A Commercial Parking Lot
If you have a parking lot, driveway, or an asphalt surface on your property, you need blacktop sealers. It is an essential product used in outdoor areas of commercial properties. There is a variety of sealers on the market, each with specific features and characteristics.
We at First Water Contracting like to ensure that our clients have complete information about the solutions available. Here is some information about parking lot sealcoating Oklahoma City and the different types of pavement sealing options and their advantages and disadvantages.
1. Coal Tar Emulsion
Most people prefer to use coal tar emulsion because it provides excellent protection and is long-lasting. As you know that blacktop is a petroleum-based product and naturally provides superior bonding on a molecular level with other petroleum products. Surfaces that are not sealcoated can get stained with motor oil and gasoline.
- Coal tar protects against gasoline, brake fluid, and oil stains. It is a by-product of coal that is resistant to gas and oil emitted by vehicles.
- It has superior sun-blocking & and UV-resistant properties that prevent color fading, which protects the surfaces from damage.
- The coating lasts for about five years, depending on the traffic load.
- It is not environment-friendly because it emits high levels of volatile organic compounds that pose risks to health.
- It can cause skin irritation to those who handle the application.
- Its natural gray color is a disadvantage. It lacks asphalt’s dark black color.
2. Asphalt Emulsion
It is manufactured from materials similar to ones used in your driveway.
- A darker color than coal tar
- A good option where coal tar use is not possible
- These seal coatings are resistant to water but not to UV rays
- The color fades far more quickly than coal tar-based emulsion
- Need application every year as they last for one season
The odor they emit remains for days and they do not protect surfaces from petroleum products or UV rays. It takes longer to cure, which means you cannot paint lines till then, an essential consideration for property owners looking for convenient asphalt maintenance solutions.
Acrylic has many advantages, which should make it a preferred option. It is UV and weather-resistant, and environment-friendly. This long-lasting material can last for up to seven years without any need for reapplication if traffic is not very heavy. You find it used for tennis courts and parking lots on commercial properties. It is available in different colors. However, it is the most expensive option for seal coating asphalt after parking lot repair Oklahoma.
Concrete contractors OKC and owners of large parking lots prefer to use fast-dry seal coating because it cures in less than an hour. Besides being one of the expensive options, you do not get it in small quantities.
The type of sealant you use would depend on your preferences, budget, and setting. Our team is here to help with all the information you need and guide your choices. If you’re looking for asphalt installation, maintenance, or parking lot repairs OKC solutions, we at First Water Contracting can help. Just contact us or give us a call at 405 664 6200 and we’ll help.